Monday, November 5, 2018

Bishop Malone on Church Abuse Scandal: 'Difficult to Have One’s Integrity Questioned'


Bishop Richard J. Malone was surprised and saddened every time he saw an article or TV story about his handling of the priest sex abuse scandal in his diocese, as well as when prominent leaders went to the media to call for his resignation.

“The truth is every day, I wonder what I’ll see in the paper, or letter to the editor, or editorial or what they put out on the television or radio," Malone said in an interview with The Buffalo News. "It is difficult. It is very difficult to have one’s integrity questioned.

“That is hard for me to swallow because, I don’t mean to sound boastful, but from my deepest moments of prayer and self-reflection, I am a man of integrity,” he said, adding: “I’m a man who can make a mistake and that is what I did in two cases where we had allegations of misconduct by a priest with adults.”

Malone, without naming them, was referring in one case to the Rev. Robert Yetter, who allegedly made unwanted sexual advances on two young adult men. The other was the Rev. Arthur Smith, whom Malone assigned as a cruise ship chaplain after Smith was accused of inappropriate behavior with two men and a boy.

Click here for the full article. 

Source: The Buffalo News (via Empire Report New York) 

No comments: