Thursday, July 19, 2018

Chance the Rapper Might Well Become One of the Most Balanced Media Barons



I like to think I have a fairly eclectic taste in music. Thomas Tallis competes for attention with They Might be Giants on my near-obsolete iPod.

However, I must admit I have never come across the Chicago-based artiste known as Chance The Rapper. I assumed in fact that Chance must be a stage name, but as it happens his real name is Chancelor. And sure enough, just like our own Philip Hammond, he seems to know a thing or two about business.

Last night he took the opportunity to announce his purchase of a local news website, the Chicagoist; doing so – as only a media owner who is also a rapper could – in the form of a catchy song, called “I might need your security”. In the ditty he explains forcefully how “I bought the Chicagoist just to run you racist bitches outta business”. Not the usual motivation for a merger or an acquisition, but who’s to say it’s not a good one.

Click here for the full article. 

Source: The Independent

No comments: