Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Chelsea Manning on Impending Release: ‘Freedom Used to Be Something I Dreamed Of’

Chelsea Manning, the former Army intelligence analyst who is set to be released from prison next week after serving nearly seven years for leaking classified documents to Wikileaks, said Tuesday that she is preparing for the life she never thought she'd have.

"I can see a future for myself as Chelsea," Manning, a transgender woman who began using the name while in custody, said in a statement. "I can imagine surviving and living as the person who I am and can finally be in the outside world. Freedom used to be something that I dreamed of, but never allowed myself to fully imagine."

The ACLU, which represents Manning in an ongoing 2014 lawsuit against the Department of Defense over 
access to gender-related medical care, told NBC News they were unable to determine the exact day next week that Manning will go free. Earlier reports suggested May 17 as a likely release date. 

Click here for the full article.

Source: NBC News 

No comments: