Thursday, July 26, 2018

Councilman Diaz: 'Et Tu, Brute?' ('Even You, Brutus?')


WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
By Councilman Rubén Díaz Sr.
District 18 Bronx County, New York

You should know that during the times of the Roman Empire, the Emperor Julius Caesar was double crossed and betrayed by Gaius Cassius Longinus, which resulted in his stabbing death by his trusted friend Marcus Julius Brutus. Caesar, before dying, looked at Brutus and with his last dying breath uttered “Et tuBrute?”,  which means “Even you, Brutus”.

Now Assemblywoman Deborah Glick, after 27 years serving the State of New York as one of the most progressive elected officials, has been put on notice by the New York Working families Party that they might support Cynthia Nixon.

Assemblywoman Glick, I believe, will go into the history books as the first openly gay legislator in New York State. Assemblywoman Glick was sworn into office on January 3, 1998. This was a time when many, from fear of repercussion, hid their sexuality. However, Assemblywoman Glick stood firm and fought for the rights of gay and lesbian communities, opening doors, jumping hurdles, and breaking through many obstacles to ensure equality.  

Assemblywoman Glick serves as the Chair of the Committee of Higher Education and as a member of the Ways and Means Committee. These are two of the most powerful and influential committees in the New York State Assembly.

Ms. Glick has remained focused on her fight for women’s issues, such as their right for reproductive freedom and abortion rights, environmental protection, immigration rights, and many, many more issues that are of importance for the progressives.    

I believe that when the Progressive movement was created, seated at the table was Assemblywoman Deborah Glick. 

It is important for you to know that I am a social Conservative Democrat.  During the sixteen years I served in the New York State Legislature as a State Senator, Deborah Glick and I never spoke to each other. I can honestly say that Ms. Glick hates my guts. She can’t stand the ground I walk on. Believe me when I say... she can’t stand me!

But those that know me well will attest to the fact that I will always speak the truth and call it out as it is when I feel someone is being treated unfairly, even if the person being unfairly treated has different opinions and disagreements with me, which is the case with Ms. Glick.

Some might say that I should be happy to see that Ms. Glick is going through this situation with the Working Families Party, but I am not. 

The Working Families Party (WFP) hatched a plan to have Cynthia Nixon run on their line against Glick in the event Nixon loses the election to Governor Cuomo. According to the WFP they don’t want to have a candidate serve as a spoiler in the general elections. But, surprise, surprise! They should have known that when they hatched their plan to give their party line to Cynthia Nixon, or maybe that’s been the plan all along, (it would be viewed as) a coup against Deborah Glick.

I believe,  figuratively speaking, that given this political climate, we politicians must walk with a political bulletproof vest because it appears as though we have and unseen bullseye on our backs, and we never know when and to whom we will have to say “Et tu, Brute?”

I am Councilman Rev. Rubén Díaz and this is What You Should Know.   

No comments: