Saturday, May 26, 2018

In Memoriam: Assemblyman Denny Farrell


Beloved Harlem Representative Passes Away at 86

Click here for details.

Governor Andrew Cuomo Directs Flags to Half-Staff

Cuomo today directed that flags on all state government buildings be flown at half-staff on Tuesday, May 29 in honor of Assemblyman Denny Farrell. "I am heartbroken by the passing of my friend, mentor and partner-in-government Denny Farrell. Denny was a compassionate leader, a brilliant political mind and a trailblazer who left an indelible mark on New York politics. He was part of a previous generation of leaders, along with Mayor David Dinkins, Basil Paterson, Congressman Charlie Rangel and my father Governor Mario Cuomo, on whose shoulders today's generation stands.

"Denny exemplified the best of politics. He was a true public servant who taught all of us what it means to be in elected office. He was fearless in his pursuit of justice.

"Denny also believed in my father when others did not, and he took me in when I was a 23-year-old campaign manager for my father. And he continued to be an inspiration for me throughout my career.

"My father once said about Denny, 'Denny is a giant in a world of little people.' In the world of politics where everything is expediency and calculating, he was a man who stood up and acted out of principle, consequences be damned. We will forever be grateful for the legacy of Denny Farrell."

 Source: Press Office, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo


Statement from Assemblyman Michael Blake 

9:35 P.M. (EST) - I am sad to learn that we lost our gentle giant, former Assemblymember Denny Farrell, Jr., who left an indelible impact on me and countless other leaders. As a fellow Jamaican-American, I had pride as Denny stood in the chamber as our Ways and Means Chair defending our Assembly budget for hours during the strenuous voting process. Yet moments later, Denny and I would talk about our families in Jamaica or how to deal with the mosquitos in the country! We would chat about his car and his love for driving, which always amazed me that a man that tall would drive a car that small. As a former state Democratic Party Chair and a long time member of the Democratic National Committee, Denny would regularly ask me about the direction of our party and then he later gave me the highest honor of receiving his endorsement and his vote as one of the new national Vice Chairs. The invaluable lessons I learned through his wisdom and mentorship shall always stay with me.

I vividly remember how Denny called me to say that he was going to move forward in his committee on my signature piece of legislation to help small Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises that contract with New York State to get paid in 15 days instead of 30 days. This came after he and his longtime Counsel Michael Johnson asked me detailed questions and then Denny meticulously wrote down the bill number to review the impact it could have. I am forever grateful that he would help me enact such an impactful policy and didn't see me being a new legislator as a negative but rather as someone with potential, choosing to mentor me along the way to become a better public servant. Denny would always stop and talk to me in the hallway about The Bronx and Harlem or just ask "How are ya doing?," to make sure I was okay. I would listen and ask as much as I could because I was just as impressed with his brilliance and experience as I was with his dapper pinstripe suits. 

Denny Farrell, Jr. impacted my life for the better in immeasurable ways. I'm grateful beyond words for his service and commitment to the people, especially his absolute love for his children. Walk good my fellow yard man Herman "Denny" Farrell, Jr. Our country and state are better because of you. Continue to make history and rest in power!

Source: The Office of Assemblyman Michael Blake (District 79) 

No comments: