Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Blake Responds to Backlash for Campaign Contributions Made to City Council Candidate Ruben Diaz Sr.

 
Bronx, NY - In response to criticisms of his contributions to City Council Candidate Ruben Diaz Sr, New York State Assembly Member Michael Blake released the following statement: 

“Despite his work in our overlapping districts and continual effort of uniting communities of color, Senator Ruben Diaz, Sr. has made comments and taken stances against the LGBTQ community that I do not support. My contribution to his campaign is in no way an endorsement of his views on the LGBTQ community and should not be viewed as such. I am sorry for any offense caused by the contribution.

"It is my sincere hope that my record identifies me as an ally of the LGBTQ community; from my policy positions, public and private comments and selection of my staff members and advisors.

"I hear and respect the concerns that LGBTQ activists and allies have raised due to my campaign's donation to the Sen. Diaz, Sr's upcoming Council Race. In order to unite us, which is critically necessary given our current national political environment, I have asked Senator Diaz, Sr. to refund the entirety of the contribution so that we can continue positively to advance the causes of equity and justice for every New Yorker and move forward in a positive and collaborative way.”

Source: The Office of Assemblyman Michael Blake

No comments: