Monday, October 10, 2016

Governor Cuomo, Assemblyman Blake on the Passing of Brooklyn DA Ken Thompson


Statement from Governor Cuomo

“I am profoundly saddened to learn of the sudden passing of Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson after a battle with cancer. Ken was a dedicated public servant who embodied the highest principles of the law, and his grand presence will be sorely missed. 

“A lifelong New Yorker, Ken was known as an effective, aggressive civil rights leader – and a national voice for criminal justice reform. When he took office in 2014, Ken became the first African-American in history to serve as Brooklyn District Attorney. He also served with distinction as a federal prosecutor, working with Loretta Lynch in the Eastern District of New York before founding a law firm devoted to social justice and the fight against discrimination.

“My thoughts and prayers go out to the Thompson family, friends and neighbors, and the entire Brooklyn community at this difficult time. As a tribute to Ken’s enduring legacy, I am directing all flags to half staff on Monday, October 10, 2016.” 

Statement from Assemblyman Michael Blake

I am beyond at a loss that Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson is gone.  He was a remarkable person and exceptional public servant.  He would always ask me how was I doing, encourage me as a Black man in politics, discuss new ideas for criminal justice reform, remind me of his love for Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Thank you, Ken, for being an example of how to serve the people and reminding me to never forget where you come from.

May his spirit know that the respect and admiration that I have for him will continue. Walk with justice for all eternity, dear brother.  Justice in peace, Ken. 

Note: Details on the legacy and life of DA Ken Thompson are available in this New York Times report

Comment sources: Press Office, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the Office of Assemblyman Michael Blake

No comments: