Sunday, July 8, 2012

Reince Priebus: 'Mr. Freeze'


From The G-Man
Treated Rudely and Unfairly During Efforts to Provide Equal Time to the GOP

Hey, folks. While From The G-Man tends to report on prominent Democrats and their policies, including President Obama, I would like to state that repeated and sincere efforts have been made to present Republican viewpoints.

Over a period of several months, I contacted the office of Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus to request an interview and obtain information or statements regarding the economic, political or social issues that are of great concern to the Republican Party.

During two attempts to gain access and information, an RNC representative Googled this news and information site while I was on the phone. There was a strange period of silence before the representative indicated that someone would contact the site as soon as possible.  You can guess how that turned out.

There was also the time when a rep told me “Sir, any information you’re looking for is available on the RNC website. You do know that, right?” Translation, “Are you a dumb-ass?” When I explained that I wanted to pose certain questions to the chairman or his spokesperson, the woman acted as though I was being a first-class pain in the ass. Needless to say, she proved to be as useless as the initial person I spoke to.

Quite frankly, I’m extremely annoyed by the way I was treated and the lack of response of the part of Chairman Preibus, especially since I reached out in good faith and with no agenda other than to offer an independent news venue by which the GOP could present its views. Given that many news outlets and networks in America offer biased coverage, you would think the RNC and Chairman Priebus would appreciate the offer. Sadly, they proved me wrong.

When I really think about it, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that this happened. I say this in light of the fact that I watched Priebus, aka “Mr. Freeze”, on two editions of NBC’s Meet the Press. In my humble opinion, the man came across as callous and cold when grilled about the policies of President Barack Obama.

Priebus seemed to become even more cantankerous when discussing the Democratic Party and what Priebus described as “a president that has been a disaster”. I seriously doubt that GOP heavyweight Colin Powell would ever take to the airwaves to bash a sitting president the way Priebus has, even if Powell didn’t agree with President Obama’s policies. Priebus could learn a thing or two by watching Powell’s previous Meet the Press appearances.
  
I don’t know why From The G-Man was treated in this fashion, especially when it has received a New York State Senate proclamation and earned the praise and respect of people like Pulitzer Prize-winner Les Payne and Emmy Award-winner Tom Osborne, former United Nations bureau chief for ABC World News Tonight. I’m really hoping the reason for how I was treated wasn’t “a Black thing”. If the GOP is serious about diversity in its ranks, as it so often claims and plans to prove by embracing its rising star Mia Love, I never got that impression from the RNC chairman’s office.

Granted, From The G-Man has a long way to go before generating a massive following like the Drudge Report, Huffington Post or The Grio, but that doesn’t give Priebus or the RNC the right to dismiss the site. Moreover, Priebus and the RNC practically fall to their knees with mouths drooling when major news outlets, Matt Drudge, or “conservative-friendly” news sources come calling. That’s just not right, and it needs to change. A free and independent press demands it!

From The G-Man provides news and information from a variety of sources and asks the hard questions, but it continuously strives to do so in a manner that’s truly “fair and balanced”. It’s sad and unfortunate that Chairman Priebus and the RNC never gave this site a chance to prove it.

This commentary is from the heart and…..from The G-Man.  

Photo source: Own work
Author: Gage Skidmore

No comments: