Thursday, April 9, 2020

Dying Young: COVID-19 is Killing More and More People in Their 20s

THE G-MAN INTERVIEWS: JEFFREY WILLIAMS-MAISONET

Reporter Loses Close Friend to the Virus, Issues
Strong Message to President Trump and NYC Youth

By Gary Glennell Toms

Jeffrey Williams-Maisonet is an activist and reporter in Rockaway, New York. Born and raised in the heavily-populated and popular beachfront community, he also views himself as an advocate for all New Yorkers. In 2019, he graduated from the Borough of Manhattan Community College with an Associate’s Degree in Business Management and plans to enroll in Brooklyn College to obtain a Bachelor's Degree in Communications.

The ambitious and inquisitive 25-year-old launched his own news site in 2015, which he named Rockaway Primetime Reporting, in order to make residents in the eastern and western sectors more aware of the issues impacting the peninsula. Eventually, with the help of elected officials and community members, Rockaway Primetime Reporting attracted viewers from not just the New York City area, but all over the country. “The best thing about that is the fact that people were learning about the Rockaways, its beaches, its history, and how resilient this community is and has been in the wake of the September 11th attacks and the crash of Flight 587,” said Maisonet.

According to the aspiring communications major, accomplishing his goals would serve as confirmation that young people are more than capable of assuming responsibility and leadership roles. “I can think of no better way to repay those who invested their time in me, namely my parents and mentors, than to become a leader in my community and help others of my generation do the same,” he said.

For the sake of full disclosure, I served as a mentor to Mr. Maisonet for several years. He recently informed me that his close friend, Brandon, died of COVID-19 several days ago at the age of 24. He joins me for this very special edition of The G-Man Interviews to discuss his late friend and two troubling incidents he recently witnessed in his community regarding the coronavirus.

The interview was conducted on April 8.

Correction: During the interview, Far Rockaway was referenced instead of Rockaway. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to thank you for shedding light on this pendemic. And the seriousness of doing our part to stop the spread. I am grateful to see you doing this interview because Brendon Lee Perez was my nephew. Keep up the honest reporting.

Anonymous said...

Jeffrey Williams-Maisonet thank you for stepping outside of your comfort zone and trying to share the truth of this ruthless virus to the youth of Far Rock.

I remember Hurricane Sandy's devastation so well, I remember having to evacuate my mom who lived on Beach 59 at Arverne View at the time and my sister who still lives in Hammel Houses.

Several days after the storm, I went to mom's building to recover her pets, lets just say we made it out of the courtyard alive and unharmed by God's grace. I remember lawlessness up to 7 days later. No help to that community. There is a church at 1835 Mott Ave who received provision from a church in Valley Stream, NY and was able to begin helping the people of Far Rock, but that's about it.

Jeffrey, Branden Lee was my nephew and as you mentioned he was respectful, kind and had dreams of making this world a better place one day at a time. Our family was raised in rough neighborhoods all our lives, mentorship and education go hand in hand, community means you get your hands dirty and you communicate with your neighbors and get to know their kids. You engage young people in conversations about their future, you ignite desires within them so that they can begin to dream and dream BIG.

When we were growing up in Brooklyn I felt like I was in a prison, later I learned that prison was my mind. I was brainwashed by the ignorance spewed in my community until the right person turn to me and said, you can do better and they gave me a chance.

The youth hanging out in the basketball courts smoking blunts, cracking 40s have been imprisoned in their minds by the lies of ignorant folk. They are victims of lies perpetuated by ignorance and hopeless people. The truth must be BIGGER than the lies.

Covid-19 will continue to kill young and old alike ... Covid-19 has no boundaries! I wish I had the opportunity to speak to these young brothers and sisters, I would tell them, you are the future, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to do. Forget what the world says about you and begin to think great things about yourself because at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

Jeffrey, I mourn with you today, may this pain you feel for your friend, my nephew Branden Lee catapult your thinking into a sea of amazing ideas and actions that will bring about dramatic changes to your community. Peace, over and out. xo

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your response and time you took to spread this message. Branden was a good friend and person. I knew it would only be right to share. Your message was felt by me deeply and I cannot express how grateful I am and thankful. Please remain positive and strong during these horrible times. May god bless us all 🙏