Monday, May 20, 2019

Sarah Jessica Parker: 'Stick Up for New York's Public Libraries'


The following statement was issued by Sarah Jessica Parker through the New York Public Library. 

Libraries mean a great deal to me and my family. I have been visiting my local library and borrowing books for as far back as I can recall. For the past couple of decades, Jefferson Market Library in Greenwich Village has been my local branch, and for my family and our community it is not only a regular neighborhood stop for books, programs, and more, it is a cornerstone, a beacon, and one of the most beloved buildings in our community. I don't know what we'd do without it. I recently learned that the City is proposing budget cuts that would significantly impact services—fewer hours, fewer librarians, fewer collections, fewer programs, fewer classes.

As Carrie Bradshaw might, I couldn’t help but wonder: Can New York City survive without strong public libraries? Can we as a community, as a city, accept cuts to one of the most important institutions or organizations that exists in our city? A building, shelter, and space that offers to all the opportunity to access knowledge, information, and fact. Today, more necessary than ever.

So. I couldn't help but wonder, could I as a New Yorker accept cuts to our wonderful, important, necessary, and beloved libraries? I'm sorry. I can't.

These cuts would be a big mistake that would leave countless New Yorkers without access to key services. But let's not get carried away. There's still time to help.

One thing you can do is join me in posting a sticky note about why you need and love your public library. Your note will let the Mayor and City Council know what makes your local branch essential. 

Click here to post your note. 

We can't let the City neglect one of our most important and first loves.

Yours,

Sarah Jessica Parker
Patron, Jefferson Market Library
Ambassador, American Library Association

No comments: