Sunday, April 16, 2017

Despite Bombings, Egypt’s Martyred Christian Church Celebrates Easter


Targeted for slaughter by the so-called Islamic State, poorly protected by the Sisi government, Egypt’s Copts are struggling to survive in their ancient homeland.

By Bel Trew

TANTA, Egypt—Minutes before the explosion tore through Mar Girgis Church here, David, a 16-year-old altar server, ducked behind a chair to hide his face from a camera. The clergy liked to film the Palm Sunday service, one of the most important days in the Coptic calendar. David hated appearing in the videos. The teenager’s shyness saved his life.

“I looked down and put my arm up to cover my face,” he said. “I’m still not sure what happened but it seemed God was merciful to me.”

In the next seconds a bomb blast ripped through the front of the building, tearing apart members of the congregation and throwing into the air those seated farther back. The force of the explosion knocked David unconscious. He came around minutes later to the sound of people screaming.

“At first I thought I had waked up into a nightmare. It took me a few seconds to realize what happened. I tried to get up, but I couldn’t stand, my leg was bleeding and wouldn’t move.”

The injured secondary school student had a severed artery and was pinned to the floor by body parts and headless corpses, their clothes soaked in blood. He shouted for help. 

Click here for the full article. 

Source: The Daily Beast

No comments: