Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Bernie and Elizabeth Spat: Making Trump's Day

'Future Hope' Column 

By Ted Glick

The best line I’ve seen since the story broke a couple days ago about the Elizabeth Warren/Bernie Sanders spat was this Twitter post by Sunrise Movement leader Varshini Prakash: “mom and dad are fighting and all I wanna do is go to my room and put my headphones on.”

That’s how I’ve been feeling, as someone who’s always supported Bernie but who has appreciated much of what Warren has been saying and who clearly is generally on the same page as Bernie on most major issues.

I’ve written in the past about how powerful it would be if there was either a Warren/Sanders or a Sanders/Warren ticket, if both of them end up as the top two candidates going into the Democratic Convention. The one with fewer delegates, I’ve said, should then get behind the winner and they would both then run as a team.

Differences and divisions in politics, among progressives, among people in general, are nothing new, but this sure feels bad. There ain’t nothing Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg and mainstream-to-corporate Democrats want more than to break the connection between the two strong progressives.

I do not believe that Bernie Sanders said to Elizabeth Warren in a two-person meeting no one else was in that “a woman couldn’t win the White House.” As so many have said, this completely doesn’t compute with what Bernie Sanders has been about for almost 50 years.

Click here for the full article. 

Source: tedglick.com

No comments: