Thursday, April 4, 2019

How WWE Executive Sue Aitchison Helped Save an 8-Year-Old New Yorker's Life

Aitchison pictured with pro-wrestling icon Triple H.
(Photo credit: WWE.com)


By Gary Glennell Toms

From WWE.com: Sue Aitchison, a 30-year veteran of WWE’s corporate office, has been named the recipient of the fifth-annual Warrior Award. Named after WWE Hall of Famer The Ultimate Warrior, the Warrior Award is presented to an individual who has exhibited unwavering strength and perseverance and who lives life with the courage and compassion that embodies the indomitable spirit of The Ultimate Warrior.

To say I'm elated that Ms. Aitchison will be honored during the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony on April 6 would be an understatement. In my humble opinion, and with all due respect to WWE executives, the award is long overdue. Allow me to explain.

It was approximately 20 years ago that Aitchison played a significant role in helping save an 8-year-old boy's life. The Far Rockaway (NY) resident was viciously attacked and mauled by a pit bull, and his parents, nor the doctors, didn't think he would survive. I met with his parents and published their heartbreaking story in the newspaper I worked for, which was The Wave of Long Island.

During the interview, I asked the parents what were some of the things he liked and they said he absolutely loved Stone Cold Steve Austin, who was a mega-star in professional wrestling. Upon hearing this, I contacted WWE headquarters, which was the WWF at that time, and was directed to Aitchison's office. I explained the situation and she became very emotional, asking..."How can I help?" I requested that she send the boy a "Stone Cold Package" because I suspected it would prove instrumental in his recovery effort. She happily obliged. 

Shortly after receiving the tee-shirt, wristbands, 60-minute video and autographed photo from the "Texas Rattlesnake", which urged the youngster to fight hard to get better, his doctors and parents indicated his emotional and mental state dramatically improved. Ultimately, he made a full recovery.....thanks to Aitchison's (and Stone Cold's) involvement.

I won't have an opportunity to appear on stage and share this incredibly powerful story with the WWE superstars and universe during the Hall of Fame ceremony, so I decided to do the next best thing and post this commentary. I'm doing so out of genuine admiration and respect for the longtime WWE employee, but I'm also posting it because the world needs to know she is a woman of compassion, integrity and honor. 

I congratulate and salute you on your award, Ms. Aitchison. You truly are a WWE superstar in every sense of the word.

No comments: