Monday, February 27, 2012

Women of Courage: Tenesia Teri-Ann Fraser

(Click to enlarge photos)

Model and Poet Uses Childhood Tragedy As Motivation

Tenesia Teri~Ann Fraser was originally born in Guyana, but she moved to London a few years ago to pursue a career in arts and entertainment. She currently works as a full-time visual stylist, a full-time writer, and a part-time model.

Although Fraser continues to attract a great deal of attention on the Internet for her modeling portfolio and runway appearances, she has also managed to gain an enormous following as a poet.

From The G-Man recently conducted an interview with Fraser for an exclusive look into the world of modeling, her personal and professional background, and her long-term goals.

G-Man: What made you decide to become a model? 

Tenesia: When I was a little girl, my grandfather used to hold beauty pageants back home in Guyana. I thought I was grown and would always jump up on stage and do what the older girls did. They all looked beautiful. They inspired me, and I wanted to be like them.

G-Man: How old were you when you started out in the business? 

Tenesia: I was 13, if I remember correctly. I was in a beauty pageant that did not go very well.  In fact, neither did the one after that. However, I kept working at it and continued to get runway walks at as many shows as I could to gain more experience and exposure.

G-Man: As far as models are concerned, who are -- or were -- some of your influences? 

Tenesia: I would have to say Twiggy, Naomi Campbell, Tyra Banks and Iman.



G-Man: What is the best and worst aspect of being a model? 

Tenesia: The best aspect, most definitely, is the makeover -- new hair, make-up, and the clothes. The adrenalin rush that you get when you walk the runway also ranks right near the top. The worst aspect is the waiting around between shows or segments.

G-Man: Are there any stark differences between American and British models? 

Tenesia: In my view, the only difference is the way the models walk. The British style is simple, with a touch of attitude at the end of the catwalk. The American style comes with a lot more attitude throughout.

G-Man: Describe your most embarrassing or humorous moment as a model? 

Tenesia:  A few years ago, I did a show where I was laying on a lounge chair at the beginning of my set. I was there for about 10-minutes with the audience watching me. When I started to walk down the catwalk, one of my shoes flew off. There was a woman in the front row, so I touched her shoulder in order to keep my balance. I managed to do all of this while putting my shoe back on. I did ask her -- rather quickly -- if I could lean on her and she was ok with it. I was red in the face, but I continued to walk like it had never happened.

G-Man: Every person has what is described as "their defining moment": the period in life where you're directed toward your destiny or placed in an extremely painful or difficult situation that tests your inner strength, faith and determination. Describe what that moment was for you. 

Tenesia: I had a few of those moments in my life, but two specific moments helped create the woman that I am today. The first was when I finally understood why I did not know or have a relationship with my mother. I was a child when she left, but one day -- after high school -- a friend of mine and I got into a huge argument. She said, “At least my mom isn't a drug addict who left her kids!

My family, being who they are, wanted to protect me -- so we did not speak of my mum. The minute I got home, I started to ask questions and discovered that my friend’s claim turned out to be true. I became a stronger person because of that incident and decided to learn from her mistakes. As a result, I have never smoked or taken any drugs because I do not want to become that woman. 

The second defining moment was losing my grandfather. I was raised by my grandparents. Death, as much as it is our reality, never affects you until you lose someone that you love.  That type of heartache does something to you. It either breaks you or it makes you stronger and wiser.  I was broken, and, to a certain extent, I still am. I find myself crying at certain times. Losing him has been the most painful experience of my life.  I use his memories as motivation. He always believed in me, and it’s because of him that I know I will be successful at everything I do.

G-Man: In addition to being a model, you're also a poet. Your work is attracting a great deal of attention on the Internet. When did you start writing poems?

Tenesia: It’s exciting! Yes, I love writing. I started writing at the age of eight. I had rheumatic fever, which is a fever that affects the heart, so I spent a lot of time in bed recovering from illness. In addition, I was not a very expressive child when it came to my emotions, so I started to write about how I felt. Expressing myself through words helped me to develop a better understanding of my past and situations I faced in the years that followed. 



G-Man: Is there a particular theme that you like to write about most? 

Tenesia: I would say love, as corny as it sounds. I love everything about it, especially the way that you lose yourself in someone else's world. However, I write about the downside of love as well.

G-Man: If you had to name three poets that had the greatest impact on your writing, whom would you select? 

Tenesia: To be honest, as much as I read, I have not read many poetry books. Maya Angelou and Gil Scott Heron are the only two poets whose books I own.

G-Man: Do you plan to publish a book of poetry?

Tenesia: Definitely! I just completed the first draft of my first book and I am really excited about it.

G-Man: Finally, what would you say to young women that are considering a career in modeling or as a poet/writer? 

Tenesia: As a model, you have to be confident and love yourself. That includes all of your flaws. Most importantly, you need to be honest with yourself. Know your look and know what you are willing and not willing to do to get to where you want to go. You have to be careful because there are a lot of people who pretend to be who they are not.

With regard to becoming a writer, all you have to do is follow your heart and listen to your mind. If you’ve been blessed with an amazing gift, do not be afraid to let others read your work. They will appreciate it, and they will be honest with you. Whatever it is that you want to be, have faith, courage, and remember that calculated risks should be taken to secure your career and future. 

Photos courtesy of Tenesia Teri-Ann Fraser

5 comments:

The Shanice Jones Collection said...

Very Nice Hon. You are a Strong Beautiful Black Woman & God will bless you in everything that you do. <3 <3

Saskie J. said...

This Article is as Beautiful as Tenesia For you Have Captured Her Essence in your Interview.

shamaine said...

i am truely astonished of the amzing individual you have grown to become tenesia......as we grew together as best friends i always recognized a spark in you that was bound for success and ture happiness with contentment.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and courageous.. Thats who you are!! Well done you x

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

We have so much in common: modelling, writing, family troubles and Guyana. I wish you all the best with your future and with publishing.