Friday, January 6, 2017

Free NYC Mission Society Program Offers Kids Chance to Larn African, Latin and Jazz Music

 

This report was originally published on December 9, 2016. 

“It’s like a feeling of being able to be myself," Alyza Tavaras said. “I’m releasing all this tension I was carrying throughout the day.”

Tavaras makes every moment matter to appreciate, learn and improve her craft.

“I’m still shocked that I’m actually playing right now,” she smiled.

Last year, the eighth-grader started coming to the New York City Mission Society’s free music program.

“The only way I ever saw an instrument was through the internet," she explained. "My school's never had a music program."

The centuries old anti-poverty nonprofit wanted to fill the gap created by the diminishing funding given to art education. 

Click here for the full article/video. 

Source: Abena Smith, President, 32nd Precinct Community Council

No comments: