Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UN Gay Rights Hearing: ‘If Islamic State Didn’t Get Me, My Family Would’

 
The United Nations Security council has held a ground-breaking meeting to discuss the plight of homosexuals in lands occupied by ISIL.

Diplomats heard from Syrian refugee Subhi Nahas who told how men suspected of being gay would be thrown from buildings and stoned to death if they survived the fall.

“This was to be my fate, too,” Nahas told a closed-door informal meeting. The meeting was organised by the US and Chile to draw attention to “brutal attacks” by the militants.

“I was terrified to go out. Nor was my home safe, as my father, who suspiciously monitored my every move, had learned I was gay. I bear a scar on my chin as a token of his rage,” said Nahas, according to a text of his prepared remarks.

Click here for the full article.

Source: Euronews

No comments: